Got to load up Flash MX on my PC today, so I no longer feel naked. :D
But as I was trying to get this music postcard thing to work, something basic was escaping me. I kept trying to load these jpegs dynamically (which was happening fine), but I kept trying to get a preloader to work. Essentially, before the images even loaded… the preloader made a check, and assumed everything was ok. I mucked with this for the better part of today, and it frustrated the hell out of me.
Seemed like a basic process – but it just wasn’t working.
Around the end of the day, I added a preloader scene, and forced the images to wait until they were larger than 1000 bytes before continuing. That seemed to do it, and I think I got it to work.