The Elegant Universe
Wow. Also realized just now that I had mentioned this documentary over a year ago. It’s been out for a while, and only today did I get around to viewing it.
Some really interesting stuff, but maddening at the same time. I found myself yelling at the TV a lot, trying to make sense of the various (and oftentimes incredulous) concepts that kept popping up.
That’s right. I was yelling at my TV. While watching a science documentary.
I ended up jotting a few things down, which I’d like to share. Keep in mind that I’m no physicist and that I’ve been sipping on a bit of scotch tonight.
- String Theory is also known as M Theory.
- According to String Theory, there are a total of 11 dimensions.
- Strings can strech out into what are called membranes (or branes), which can grow as large as universes.
- The world as we known it can theoretically exist on such a membrane, with parallel universes existing on nearby membranes.
- One theory of the Big Bang is that it is the result of two nearby (and separate) membranes colliding.
There was a lot of other stuff (gravitrons, wormholes, sparticles) that were glossed over some. As I said – very neat and very interesting, but maddening in that I don’t know enough to really wrap my head around some of the details/particulars.