Recently, I discovered an Animal Planet series on Netflix called River Monsters. And I have to say… I love it. The best way to describe this show is: Nature Porn. It’s what you would get if you tried to make a NATURE documentary into an episode of COPS.
It’s over the top at times, but that’s part of the charm. There have been more and more “dramatic re-enactments” as the show’s progressed, which are annoying… but I stick around because the formula is pretty great. Hosted by Jeremy Wade, here’s a typical show in a nutshell:
1) Jeremy Wade mentions an urban legend or story about a fish attack.
2) He travels to remote location with fishing gear.
3) He tests the legend with his body (sometimes).
4) He tries to catch the fish “so he can see it for himself.”
5) He catches the fish.
6) I blurt out Oh my god, look at the size of that thing!
Since it’s a documentary, part of my brain feels like I’m learning something new. But really, all I seem to be gaining is a growing fear of entering large bodies of water.
Unfortunately, Animal Planet doesn’t allow people to embed their YouTube videos. So I’ll have to send you over to YouTube to see an example of the show. In this clip, Wade is tracking down the Arapaima and is visiting a fish farm to help the workers trap a single fish. Here’s the clip.
I’m so very happy to have stuff like this available via Netflix Streaming. Love it.