Post Holes, Revisited

While the posts were affixed into place, we needed to move them so that I could dig a hole (for a support column).

Bob relocated this post, so I could have some space to dig.

I was wondering whether I should have rented another power augur, but it actually wasn’t too bad of a process with a post-hole digger. Which is a tool we have, surprisingly.

Not something I would ever think I’d need, but we’ve needed it several times now.

The big nerd in me, every time I see this tool, can’t help but think of Firefly.

Used the quick-setting cement here, which uses approximately one gallon of water per bag. I drew a half-gallon and one-gallon line on the side of a bucket, and used that to measure the water needed.

I put a half bag down first as a base, followed by a half-gallon of water. After about 30-40 minutes for that first pour to set, I then put down a Sonotube and filled it up bit by bit: half a bag, half a gallon of water.

I eventually got to the point where things were a little too soupy/water, and started to just add concrete mix until things got dry again.

Would have been fun to play with that power augur again, but luckliy we didn’t need it.

Related:
Garden Arbor Construction, Part 2

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave A Reply