We were much faster tonight, having shaken off the cobwebs last night. We were moving a bit faster, and covered a decent amount of ground.
It’s been a while since Liz and I tackled prepping and installing backer board. The process isn’t too bad overall, but we were slowly remembering the process and steps.
The reason for this particular work: on Bob’s suggestion, installing backer board along the base of all the walls saves time during the trim installation period. No need to hunt and hope for a stud – because you can nail in anywhere at all. Because the backer board is everywhere.
After a few nights working solo, I was fortunate to have Liz help with getting the remaining drywall patches up on the ceiling. She’s been super busy with work work lately, and tonight was a moment when she pulled away to help out.
Around 5:45 PM, I set up this area for us downstairs to sit and plan out the next few weeks. There’s a lot of things Bob is working on, all of which needs to happen prior the drywall guys coming. And then the taper coming after that. And then Nick/Milton to do the actual, final floor install.
A lot of the afternoon was me figuring out just how to go about cutting material to fit. I needed to add one layer of 1/2″ plywood, and then another 3/8″ lawyer of drywall on top of that.
A closer look at the damaged joist (which I discovered last year, when doing demo in the office space). The fire damage is right near where a light fixtured used to be, along with the old gas lines that fed into the light. It’s a small miracle this house (and all houses at the time) didn’t burn to a crisp with all the gas lighting inside.
Electrical is stubbed out for the closet!
“Afternoon vanilla sun crawls away across the lawn
Through the phone I pull you and drag your voice around
Afternoon vanilla sun crawls away without a sound
Through the phone I pull you and drag your voice around”
As Bob was working on the new closet, he needed the top part of the drywall mudded and taped (per code). He’s finishing up the duct work here, and needed this done before the next day. So Liz ended up suiting up unexpectedly tonight, and put in some time trying to get into some pretty tight spaces.
Turns out, he had also repainted the whole thing! The glider also has a latch that lets the back fold down, converting the whole thing into a bed (in case you just got really comfortable and decided a full-on nap was required).
It was mostly lathe removal, but led to a ton of debris and soot from the ceiling. A shame that our new plywood got so dark from grime and muck. You can see where the trash can was, and how dirty the debris makes things.
The original frame was about 16″ closer to the door. This small adjustment gives us a bit more room on first walking inside the house.
Liz was out on the porch, and called out to me: “You should come out here, it’s a UPS party.” At first, I thought she meant we had a lot of packages on the porch. Once outside, I saw what she meant.
With all the work that’s happened on the first floor recently, there was no good space for them. But they’re back now, and staying with us in the interim… until everyone has to locate again (once the final floors are installed).