Fixing the Fixture

When she’s not in the basement working on trim, or cleaning the heating registers out on the grill or with wire brushes… she’s been taking apart an small, old chandelier and bringing it back to life.



Our first night, Liz and I played maybe 6 or 7 games. Each game was maybe 15 minutes or so in length, and incredibly enjoyable.

As far as board games go, this one hits a lot of the major checkboxes: rules are easy to pick up quickly, games are fun to play, and the strategy/complexity grows the more you play it.


Protestors Storm Capitol Building

I’ve been unable to pull myself away from news reports and the Internet, as more information becomes available about the day’s events. I am incredibly shaken, and incredibly disturbed by all that I’ve seen.


Searching for Southern Yellow Pine

It’s more expensively, obviously. But it’s been an interesting journey, over a ridiculous number of phone calls, to find places that actually have this kind of wood available. I’ve had a headset on for the better part of 4 days, making a lot of calls. Learning a lot, but with a lot left to learn.


Cleaning the Heat Registers

With a lot of WD-40 and some elbow grease, we were able to loosen the two screws holding the damper in place. Thankfully (amazingly), didn’t end up stripping the screws.

Took a few photos, mostly as reference, for when we need to re-assemble these pieces together again.


Late Night Backgammon

Tonight, we ended up starting a game late: around 10:30 PM. We ended up playing a mini-tournament of sorts, employing the doubling cube for the first time, with the winner being the first to 10 points.


Door Trim: A Slow Process

Liz has expressed some frustration, not with the work but with the outcome: there’s no “finishing” of anything, at least not yet. There’s so much to do, so many pieces involved, that it’s just a gradual slog – chipping away, bit by bit, piece by piece.


Farewell, 2020

The fact that these two separately printed pieces align so well is a really exciting thing to realize, and to experience first-hand. It really does show how much potential there is for 3D printed material. This isn’t anything new, but was definitely new to me – and really eye-opening to experience directly.


Vase and Plug, Trial and Error

Turns out what I needed to do was use vase mode, which doesn’t fill the object completely. Attempt #2 printed in markedly less time, and I was able to go slightly bigger in size (I think the actual model is maybe twice as big as what I did here).


Removing Rust with Electrolysis, Part 2

Several hours in the bath is just the start of the work. After each grate is taken out of the bath it’s scrubbed clean in the sink, brushed again in the basement with a steel brush (in all the nooks and crannies), then given some oil, then the whole grate is heated on the grill, then brought back inside brushedit’s heated (out on the grill), then brought inside to have a layer of wax applied, and then baked again.

he whole process for prepping and cleaning each grate is actually incredibly time-intensive.