With the work we did pulling up the floor in the main hall, we had to do something with all that debris. Hence my day today: cutting up the super long boards, and packing as much as I could into a Bagster.
As I played more, I had this realization: this game is remarkably similar to coding. I’m trying to optimize repetitive tasks (functions), and enable processes to build off one another (composition). And there are literal freaking bugs that you have to squash, to prevent them from messing up your hard work.
Big house day today, as we were looking to get the floor pulled up in the main hall. Here, Liz is tackling some ceiling demo prior to hitting up the floor.
A lot of work tonight, both upstairs and downstairs.
Mostly short bursts of house work in the evenings, after long days of work. I’m on call this week, and the days have felt pretty busy and full. They tend to leak past 5PM, and so I’ve only been able to get a small sliver of time to work on house stuff. But every little bit helps, as we’ve got a lot to get done this upcoming holiday weekend.
Tonight, we worked on getting the bunnies moved from their current area… over to the newly demo-ed living room. We’ll be pulling up the floor in the main hall area, and so it’s another game of shuffle while we move things (and bunnies) around.
An interesting note: there seemed to be more concern about what type of sole my shoe had, when I got my injury. Apparently, if you have rubber soles, rubber carries a lot more bacteria… and increases the chance that bad things get introduced into your system. Who knew?
I totally forgot that I stepped on a nail yesterday, when I was working on pulling up the floor in the living room. It was painful (the nail went through my boot), and I yelped… but it wasn’t a super deep puncture. But I do believe it did puncture the skin slightly.
There wasn’t a ton of flooring left to remove, but there was a ton of cleanup to do today: cutting up all the boards, removing all the splinters, pulling out all the remaining nails, and shop-vacing the whole room.
Similar to what we did in the dining room, this weekend my goal was to remove the thin top layer, and the secondary layer below. Underneath both of those is the substrate… but we’re leaving that for the flooring guys to remove.
I don’t care that this is a commercial. Seeing this brought me no small amount of joy, and reminded me of the early Internet from maybe a decade ago. Just a lovely, lovely thing.
It’s been a long while since I’ve played “The Last of Us Part 2,” but I’ve found myself returning to this cover of “Take On Me” that exists in the game. I grew up with the song as a kid, but I’m finding that the slow covers of this song are really my thing.
The goal: to free up the living room, so we can tackle the floor demo over the coming days. We’re aiming to clear up the floor much like we did in the dining room, taking things down to the substrate.
While I get a free battery replacement, the only way to actually get it is to mail my machine in via snail mail. It feels like an extremely analog solution for a very high end electronics problem.
A few moments later, I saw what looked like a swarm of dragonflies zipping and flying around our backyard! I’m used to seeing them higher up in the sky in the early evening (along with several birds going after them)… but I’d never seen them this low to the ground before.