I’m itching to see the arbor painted, as right now… the white moulding seems just a little chinzy against the natural wood. But since it’s pressure treated lumber (that wasn’t kiln dried afterwards), we need to wait a while until the wood has properly dried out.
While we had the total length needed for the moulding, the inner pieces were all around 46-47 inches long. I ended up with a lot of smaller pieces, but nothing long enough to handle the last two lengths I needed.
One big lesson learned: instead of cutting all the boards at once, we installed one board, then did a lot of re-measuring before cutting the second board.
First up – a lot of math. In addition to getting the lengths needed for each piece, we also had to determine the angle of the cut. We got a digital angle finder, and thanks to Leah Bolden’s help, figured out what we needed to cut.
Ready to cut and install the cross beams (the pieces that connect the arches). Liz got these pieces prepped the night before, so that we could hit the ground running when we got off of work today.
Installing the back arch. Things are shaping up! Let’s gloss over just how much shimming and angling was needed, to get these pieces to line up.
Post-work, finally getting around to installing the arches we cut out.
It’s a bit of a daunting process, us committing to installing these things. Because I feel like I did a really poor job of cutting them out. But we sucked it up and tried to align the pieces as best we could.
Liz and I focused a lot on the arbor arches tonight, after work. While I got them sanded down a bit more yesterday… there was still a lot of material remaining. And a lot of fine-tuning still needed.
My initial thought was to mark this all out on a piece of masonate, and to cut it with the jigsaw. Using the masonite as a template, I’d just trace this over the wood to get all four pieces.
After work today, Liz and I decided to race the light and try to get the trellises built for the arbor. We had all the material lying around from our materials run, so it was just a matter of doing the measurements and making the cuts.
Our goals for the arbor today were pretty modest: get in the bottom 2×4 cross braces (with pocket screws) and also get in the top 4×4 cross beams.
Despite it being a Friday, Liz and I opted to suit up after work to put in a bit more time getting the arbor in order. We wanted to get some concrete in for the posts (and to also figure out how much more concrete we needed to purchase, in the event we needed more).
At the end of the work day today, Liz and I headed out to do a bit more work on the arbor. The weather turned on us, and we ended up working a bit in the rain.
With our post holes dug, today we focused on getting the arbor posts situated and fixed in place (mostly). We spent a good portion of the morning talking at the kitchen table, going over our approach and how to best figure out the placement of things.