The day was super humid, and there were a ton of mosquitoes. They’ve woken up in Chicago too, with the recent rains, so it may be that time of year again. But right along the back of the house, they were just swarming. Bob and I both took a small bath of bug spray, and that mostly kept them at bay.
A big moving day, but Bob and Julie are officially in their new place. Lots of boxes, lots of things to arrange… but this is an exciting next chapter for them. Looking forward to visiting, and seeing the new place when everyone is all settled.
For me, I have very fond memories of the house – despite being a late arrival. Even now, looking at these columns and into the living room… it’s hard not to imagine a christmas tree.
On Sunday, Liz and I went out with Julie and Bob to celebrate Liz’s birthday. Though her actual birthday is the 27th, last Sunday ended up working out best for our schedules – and for us to be able to get in to Three Dots and a Dash.
I made a few runs up and down the stairs (to get things from the basement or from the workshop outside)… but I didn’t mind, as the cool temperature drop always felt so incredibly refreshing.
After about 9 bags in, Julie came outside with some breakfast. I’ve learned that for these types of “monolithic” pours… once you start, you really don’t want to stop until it’s all done.
Tonight, Bob stopped over with Julie and helped us configure our new miter saw. We got a 12″ 60 tooth blade, which he showed us how to install. Unlike normal screws, the one used for the blade actually works in reverse. A regular screw, when rotating with the blade, would become more loose over time. So that’s why it’s reversed – in that if anything, it will become tighter, not looser.
As a first project I’ll (we’ll) be tackling alone, this seems like a good one. No complicated cuts, and fairly straightforward overall. I’ve been reviewing the instructions a lot, and honestly… it’s the math and the throwing in the screws that has me more concerned. I’m not that nervous at all, in terms of cutting things down to the sizes we need.
Note my fancy workstation. I took a few photos of some items Bob/Julie wanted to get rid of and posted them to Craigslist.
Today, I took the day off to go down to Frankfort. Bob and Julie got a dumpster, and I was going to help them clear out some items from the garage (and attic).
There was a good amount of “stuff” in the attic, but all in all it wasn’t that bad. They had experienced some squirrel damage to some items, and a lot of the work involved sifting through what remained undamaged… and what was worth keeping.
Liz, using a 20 ton jack to prop up the house. Though we heard some slight creaks and pops, nothing extremely loud (something we were expecting).