While there are some areas that are still wavy, the taper really did “hide our sins” in terms of some of the gaps and differences between our boards.
When we got to checking the ceiling, it was *ting* *ting* *ting* everywhere. After a minute, we decided to just let me go and review/re-hit every single screw, rather than having Liz test. Because they were almost all bad.
The last 1/2″ bit of drywall was, of course, the trickiest for us to install. We got the measurements right, and dryfitting was pretty good. But we had to lift and almost get the piece fitted from an angle. It was really awkward and stressful, but once it went in it was pretty good.
This was a disheartening thing to see: most of our work, in piles of rubble around the room. Apparently, we didn’t have a beveled edge over the door, and there were waves in the pieces we installed. So he spent a while tearing that out so we could start again.
It was late in the evening by the time we got to putting up more 1/2 by the basement door. We were making a lot of mistakes in our measurements and cuts – partly due to how late it was, and partly due to the fact that we’d been working a lot of late nights for some while now.
We’ve noticed that, as the night wears on, we get tired and start making mistakes. While I’ve been really proud and excited by all our progress and momentum these last weeks, tonight just left me feeling bad – ending the whole evening’s work with a mistake.
All of us began working and hanging out in the dining room together, with Bob focusing on the duct work and Liz and I continuing to drywall. Despite the cramped space, we managed to navigate around one another pretty well.
I’m still not sure if we can make our deadline of having this room done by next weekend. But the more I can get done now (this weekend), the better off we’ll be. So it made sense to try to put a little more time on my own.
With the cabinet interior done, we just had to cut a 10′ board and slap it up. We debated a bit, and then Liz said “Let’s just stop talking and do it.”
Before Bob left, the three of us put up a quick sheet of drywall on the South dining room wall. I forget now why we decided to do this (and just this piece), but we got it up and in place.
Despite our late house night, I got up pretty early this AM to run a few errands. With many of our evenings spent working on the house, a side effect has been that we’ve had precious little time to actually do much cooking. So we’ve been ordering out a great deal. Which, hey, is kind of a good thing. But…
Working on the East side of the wall involved getting behind the wall (an area that we had filled up, as a kind of temporary storage area). Rather than actually move anything out of the way, I opted to go the lazy route and climbed in, using what little space was available.
Our last bit of work tonight involved moving the many sheets of drywall from the fireplace over to this wall, freeing us up to continue work on the rest of the room. It’s been a while since we’ve seen the fireplace (forgot to take a photo), and it’s nice to imagine starting work on the rest of the walls here.
With the backer board around the window, we got a few more smaller pieces of 3/8″ drywall up. Not a ton, but a decent amount of small progress for a school night.
All told, the track and mechanisms seem to be in good shape. One thing we’ll be trying to do is to see if we can track down a professional outfit that repairs vintage doors. Our pocket doors definitely need some love and help to bring them back to their original state, and it’s likely more than we’re able to do.