We were working on all floors, today. I was upstairs in the guest room, removing the remaiing lath from the ceiling. Liz was on the first floor, cleaning up more of all her hardware. And Bob was in the basement, wiring up more of our lights.
Came back to the house, suited up, and got to work up on the second floor. My main goal: demo the ceiling in the guest room, and clear out some of the old electrical that’s still up in the attic.
Got home last night, and my task was to throw up some ceiling washers in the guest bedroom area (which will eventually be part of our shared office). As I was up there, I noticed some small stickers dotting the ceiling – stars and crescent moons.
We brought up a sheet of plywood from the kitchen, and split up our tasks: Liz focused on measuring and cutting insulation while I went and removed the last bits of floor in the master bedroom (which the furnace had been sitting on).
After work, Liz and I started to put in some insulation in between the floor joists on the second floor. With a lot of the old/unused gas pipes removed, the space is pretty clear for us to get this insulation down.
Bob was over at the house all day yesterday, and when we got home… we was working in the basement. But we found, upstairs, that he had taken out all the old gas lines that were in the floor, running between the master bedroom and the adjoining room.
Made a big push today, and got the rest of the guest room floors up. With much of the ancillary side work out of the way, all that’s left was to just power through getting the remaining floorboards removed.
Ultimately, I went downstairs and stole the string lights from the basement. Then, I slowly installed the old set while slowly removing the one I had just put in. Two times the fun.
The process involved a lot of repetition. First, I’d remove a section of floorboards. Then I’d go and remove all of the nails. Then I’d take all the wood over to the office, and sweep up any of the debris/nails. Then I’d use the shop vac to clear out the dust/debris in each space I had just opened up
It’s hard now to say that, given how tired I feel as I write this. But Liz always reminds me that we feel much more invigorated after a full, productive day of house work. As tiring as it is, the work does instill a great sense of accomplishment, after a good work day.
With a lot of demo work done over the last few weeks, today Liz and I worked on adding insulation to the guest room wall. Though it’s a little counter-intuitive to open up the walls with the cold outside, we’re sealing up cracks with Great Stuff and adding a layer of much-needed insulation.
Today, Liz and I spent most of the day working on the house. We did a lot of prep work, winterizing some problematic windows… and did a good bit of demo to boot.
Spent a large part of the day today, filling up another Bagster full of debris. Not sure why I decided to keep track of how many of these guys we’ve used, but… I guess this is officially #6.
As a frame of reference, we did a lot of demo over the weekend – getting most of the plaster and debris out. But we had a lot of lathe still to clear.
Some days, it’s nice to know that your one and only job is to break stuff.