Going into this meeting was a bit stressful. It’s a big step, a lot of money, and a lot of heavy decisions. This is also a pretty big thing for Liz as well, who has been thinking and planning her “ideal” kitchen since whe was much younger (all the way back to her high school years). To say that she’s given this a great deal of thought is an understatement.
After the big snowstorm yesterday, I got the car out and decided to run a few errands. Walking out of Walgreen’s, I thought this combination of items was pretty funny.
When clearing out the dining room, I was looking to move our fridge to our actual kitchen kitchen. After emptying it out, I was able to maneuver it over myself… but the measurements I took weren’t quite right.
On Sunday, Bob and Julie came back over and spent the afternoon with us. Bob helped us get the cabinets set up, and the new sink moved and plumbed in to the new countertop.
Bob ran into engine trouble with his truck on Friday, and ended up having to get it towed back to his house. With a lot of lumber already strapped to the top of it (slated for delivery here), he ended up renting a large cargo van, and reloaded tons of things to bring over to our place.
One of the things we missed, when we first added insulation to the walls, was actually stopping up some of the gaps in the walls. So while the insulation helped, the room could definitely have been sealed up a bit better.
The game of moving things from one place to the other continues.
After work, Liz and I put in a little time on the house. Bob’s been over all week, and by the time we get home… there are a few tasks for us to attend to (some clean-up, some prep work before his next visit).
To help give Bob some room when he works in there (soon), we decided to make clearing the kitchen more of a priority. We had his help today in relocating the AC units, and one of the furnaces down into the basement. We moved the other furnace upstairs, to the office… where it will eventually get installed in its own furnace room.
Well, I’ve used the word “Final” one too many times when talking about the kitchen, but I really do believe this is the final, final bit of demo work we had left in the place. Liz, tackling the remaining bit of wall/plaster with a chisel.
Seeing wall to ceiling insulation on the South wall was really something to behold. I have to admit – I got a little teary-eyed, seeing so much up. Perhaps, when the true winter kicks in again, this room will fare a bit better against the chill.
Bob came by the house today, and put down the remaining boards to finish off the kitchen floor. There’s a small gap that we’re waiting on (right before the East wall), but beyond that the entire kitchen is a solid surface now!
On Sunday, Bob and Julie came over to help us work on the house. Here they are with Liz, down in the basement going over future plans.
It was great to see Bob working in Autocad, laying out a rough plan for where things should go. With the bulk of our work focused on cleaning and demo, it was exhilarating to think about future stuff – to think on the creating the new, instead of removing the old. I know that Liz in particular was very excited/happy afterwards.
First piece down! We have strips of wood that were glued to the floor joists, and another layer of glue bonding the plywood with the strips. We used a nailer (powered by a pretty large compressor) to hold everything down. My first attempt at the nailer had me accidentally shooting out two nails at once. But after that small hiccup, I got the hang of how it works. Man, those things are powerful.