This is the back bedroom (my unofficial office). Liz amd Julie cut through the wall here, to give the plumber access to the pipes feeding the shower. I think with this right here, every single room now has been touched by us since our arrival.
I have this really bad habit – something I’ve noticed in myself, over the years. When doing something new, if I don’t do it correct or perfect the first time, I get very frustrated. Naturally, it takes repetition and practice. But I notice that I want to be good at something, right out of the game.
Today, Bob stopped by after work to discuss the next plans/phase of the kitchen work. Liz is primarily running the show here, but a lot of conversation was had trying to figure out where things will end up going, outlets, that sort of thing.
While we were planning, Liz had suited up in her work clothes and was tackling cleaning the basement area (below where we and been working all week, on the kitchen). It was a mess down there, but she really cleared the space up well!
You can’t see it in this picture, but Bob, Liz, and I are all smiling like crazy watching the dogs on Jake’s bike. We heard some great stories about how other people (pedestrians, other bicyclists, and even cars) reacted when seeing these guys go down the street.
On Saturday, Bob came over to help us move out the very last, remaining item out of the kitchen: the sink. Right now, about 40% of the floor is torn up, with a bit of plywood down. And we needed to get this sink moved, before we continued with any more work.
I’ve lost track of how many layers this kitchen has. Liz tore through a layer or so of plywood already, and we had another layer of tile to get through. Today, we were going to be removing everything – going all the way down to the joists.
Today, I set aside the morning to move a lot of the bags that have accumulated with our recent kitchen work. On Friday, while we were cleaning up the kitchen, I ended up moving a lot of bags into the backyard. Today, my plan was to get every bag we had into yet another Bagster bag.
Downstairs, Liz was working on the kitchen, tearing pu the plywood floor. There are actually a few layers here in the kitchen, and she was tackling the topmost. On walking in, I didn’t realize the full extent of what she had done. The floor was even, and it took me a few seconds to realize that she had removed an entire layer of the floor.
On Friday, Liz and I made another pass of the kitchen. We cleaned off a lot of the remaining plaster, hauled a lot of bags out in the yard, and removed all the nails we could find.
A view of the back attic – there’s a large area that opens to the left, just past the chimney/brick. The light didn’t really extend very far, so I kind of had to make do (next time, I’ll be using a headlight).
In a few spots, there are planks of wood which look like tongue and groove floorboards. They’re not really set into the ceiling, as much as they are kind of laid across side by side. The wood is easy to remove, but it’s the massive amount of debris and sawdust that’s sitting on top that’s the big pain in the butt…
Thankfully, the wire mesh is almost all gone now. The side of the kitchen has been removed of all mesh, plaster, and wooden lathes. The ceiling is all clear save one strip of wire mesh, containing the overhead light. I just now have one half of the back wall to demo (plus a decent amount of clean-up to do), and all the demo in the kitchen should be completed.
On Saturday, Justin was kind enough to wake up early and accompany me to the house for a bit of work in the kitchen. We got to the house around 11AM (Bob had already been here since 7AM), and after a brief tour… settled in to some dusty work. While demo-ing the walls was pretty fast, moving to the ceiling…
Liz, painting some of the basement joists. We got a coat of paint on here a while ago, but much of it soaked into the wood. This time around, we’re getting better coverage.