A few more tools in the mix. I now have a standard kit for pulling up floorboards. The sawzall keeps the pieces a certain length. The crowbar is for popping up each piece. The hammer is to pull out the nails. And the Channellocks are for when the nail heads pop off, and I need to try to pry the nail out manually.
At the close of the day, I realized I had more work to do – and continued cleaning out the closet area (and filling in the gaps in the wall with foam). Though to my credit, I did decide to use gloves this time. He can be taught!
Demo day on the first floor! We’re opening up the walls between the dining room and the main hall. It’s exciting in a lot of ways, in that this is our first big bit of demo on this floor!
After work, Liz and I suited up to continue work on the office ceiling. To be honest, after a full day at the office… the last thing I wanted to do was get all covered in dirty insulation. But we were working off a new schedule, and wanted to stay on track.
Upstairs, I ended up covering some of the items in the office with tarp. This was a lazier solution, and didn’t involve me having to move anything out. Which was great, because I wasn’t really looking forward to walking all this stuff back downstairs.
While Liz was out on a big day full of errands, I worked a bit in the office – adding more insulation to the north wall.
Started to get back into more of a house night schedule, after a bit of time away. With the big push to get our basement floor epoxied, Liz and I expended a lot of energy… and have needed time to recharge.
Today, Liz and I went into the office to try to keep the cold at bay. Our original plan was to put insulation in the walls, but given how cold the room was… we decided to tackle specific areas where we felt leaks/drafts coming in (despite our best efforts).
We both have some vacation time coming up, towards the end of the month. And thanks to Liz’s planning, we have a good amount of work scheduled on the house. Here’s to a solid November, and to the start of what we hope will be a solid December.
Spent a lot of the day just cleaning up the office area. I worked a ton, but it feels like there’s little to show for it. First, I hauled about 14 bags of demo/debris down to the porch. Then, I shop vacced the walls for a few hours, trying to clear away any remaining plaster, lath, and dirty insulation. Looking over some of the older photos from earlier this week, I’m wondering “Did I even do anything today?”
I picked up where she left off, and mostly dealt with the demo that arched upwards at an angle. Given the position of it all, there was no good way to really do the demo without being directly underneath everything. And so I took a bath in debris and dirty insulation. No avoiding it. Just tons of crap coming down on my head. Totally gross.
After work today, Liz and I suited up to spend some time in the office – doing more demo. We had a lot of lath to remove, and a lot of ancillary plaster to get rid of. Surprisingly, we filled a lot of additional trash bags.
The Bagster process took about a solid two hours, getting everything moved from the porch (and upstairs) out to the driveway. After that, I switched gears and began working on clearing the joists in the office (along the north wall).
In the course of our demo, we discovered: another window! This room really has all sorts of hidden surprises.