Rough night tonight.
We were much faster tonight, having shaken off the cobwebs last night. We were moving a bit faster, and covered a decent amount of ground.
It’s been a while since Liz and I tackled prepping and installing backer board. The process isn’t too bad overall, but we were slowly remembering the process and steps.
The reason for this particular work: on Bob’s suggestion, installing backer board along the base of all the walls saves time during the trim installation period. No need to hunt and hope for a stud – because you can nail in anywhere at all. Because the backer board is everywhere.
After a few nights working solo, I was fortunate to have Liz help with getting the remaining drywall patches up on the ceiling. She’s been super busy with work work lately, and tonight was a moment when she pulled away to help out.
Around 5:45 PM, I set up this area for us downstairs to sit and plan out the next few weeks. There’s a lot of things Bob is working on, all of which needs to happen prior the drywall guys coming. And then the taper coming after that. And then Nick/Milton to do the actual, final floor install.
A lot of the afternoon was me figuring out just how to go about cutting material to fit. I needed to add one layer of 1/2″ plywood, and then another 3/8″ lawyer of drywall on top of that.
A closer look at the damaged joist (which I discovered last year, when doing demo in the office space). The fire damage is right near where a light fixtured used to be, along with the old gas lines that fed into the light. It’s a small miracle this house (and all houses at the time) didn’t burn to a crisp with all the gas lighting inside.
Electrical is stubbed out for the closet!
As Bob was working on the new closet, he needed the top part of the drywall mudded and taped (per code). He’s finishing up the duct work here, and needed this done before the next day. So Liz ended up suiting up unexpectedly tonight, and put in some time trying to get into some pretty tight spaces.
It was mostly lathe removal, but led to a ton of debris and soot from the ceiling. A shame that our new plywood got so dark from grime and muck. You can see where the trash can was, and how dirty the debris makes things.
The original frame was about 16″ closer to the door. This small adjustment gives us a bit more room on first walking inside the house.
It’s amazing to see the first floor so… open. And for the floor to feel so continuously solid, room to room. It really does feel like a different space, walking around. The rooms are continuing to look more and more like rooms again.
Today, Nick and Milton put down some of the plywood on top of the self-leveling underlayment. This will end up creating a really solid sandwich, as there’s a layer of plywood underneath everything already.
The day has arrived! It’s time for the big pour! I can’t stress to you how big of a milestone this is for us. I know it’s an intermediate step, and we’re not even close to the final floor install… but to be at a point where the leveling is possible is incredibly exciting. It’s difficult to express how fantastic this moment/day feels.
Something I wasn’t prepared for though: pink floors!