After work, Liz and I both suited up and spent a few hours working on some cleaning tasks. I was downstairs in the basement, and she was upstairs in the bathroom.
A few more tools in the mix. I now have a standard kit for pulling up floorboards. The sawzall keeps the pieces a certain length. The crowbar is for popping up each piece. The hammer is to pull out the nails. And the Channellocks are for when the nail heads pop off, and I need to try to pry the nail out manually.
Another odd and slightly unsettling discovery: this bit of heavy plastic. At first it seemed like a small bag – but on tugging it, I encountered a decent amount of resistance. The more I pulled, the more plastic that was revealed.
Despite the late start, I did get a bit of house work in today. Removing the old cabinet next to the dining room fireplace has been on my to-do list for a while now. It’s not an urgent task just yet, but clears the way for some upcoming work in that area. It’s demo, but it’s “light” demo, and something I felt I could knock out (see what I did there) in an afternoon.
This is a view of our living room, after we moved the bed out. Taken last night, this is where we had dinner around 10:30 PM. Which totally felt weird, because we’re used to eating dinner in bed, while watching TV. It actually looks like a normal room, now.
The master bedroom has been totally reworked, since that time. From the early days before I knew how to demo a wall, to having all the walls removed on the second floor, to pulling up the floor… this room has really been rebuilt.
Normally, you wouldn’t really put a ton of time into cleaning this up. Sure, you’d want to pop off the biggest bits. But so long as things are mostly level… there’s going to be hardwood floor going down on top of the plywood, so what’s the point?
A lot of the room was caked with drywall dust – the result of our taper sanding down the mud used on the drywall seams. Thankfully, it was all pretty heavy and didn’t billow out too far… but keeping things contained as a big priority.
This weekend, we got our bedroom officially taped, sanded, and painted with primer. The walls all have clean edges, everything is white, and the room actually looks like a room!
After work today, Liz and I spent a bit of time in the basement. We didn’t do a ton, but got some prep work finished so that we can better clean/organize things later on this week.
On Saturday, we had a taper come over and begin the process of taping, sanding, and priming the master bedrooom walls. This was a very exciting milestone for us, and once it’s done… we’ll be ready to relocate upstairs officially (and open up room to work on the first floor).
Though we’ve had a three day weekend, it’s been pretty busy at our place. Today, after a nice breakfast, Liz and I suited up to finish the remaining drywall work in the master bedroom.
After the big snowstorm yesterday, I got the car out and decided to run a few errands. Walking out of Walgreen’s, I thought this combination of items was pretty funny.
Bob was over today, and put in some time to help tackle a few tricky drywall pieces/angles in the master bedroom. He filled out the (future) door to our walk-in closet.