I had some errands to run during the day Saturday with Bob, but in the late evening… Liz and I resumed work in the basement. We got more pieces along the back basement wall put up.
These photos are from last night, when we kind of combined tasks. While I was out doing laundry, Liz was home prepping drywall. When I got back, I went down to the basement and pitched in – helping to install the pieces that Liz had measured and cut on her own.
Monday night house night! After work, Liz and I suited up to go work in the basement for a bit. Our goal was to get Visqueen up on a good many of the walls, focusing on the south side of the house – in the back and the front basement.
Earlier this week, I spent some nights moving out a lot of things from the basement up to the office on the second floor. With all our boxes cleared out, the office is going to be our next staging area. For now though, so that we can get the basement floor epoxied… we need to clear out as much as we possibly can. I got a lot of the bigger items moved up during the week, and today spent a good deal of time cleaning things up and throwing things out.
Last night, Bob came over to do the cement pour in our back basement. Our goal was to have a small housekeeping pad for the (future) washer/dryer. We wanted to get it done over the weekend, but time got away from us. Luckily for us, Bob was willing to tackle it on a school night.
I remember thinking: Who needs a gym membership? I get my exercise by just moving things from one room in my house to another, over and over again.
We’ll be doing a small housekeeping pad, for the washer and dryer. And that means… more bags of cement! Seventeen bags, to be exact. The funny thing? When we figured out the final number of bags we’d need, my first thought was “Oh good, that’s not so bad.”
Liz, patching over screw holes, as Bob watches and advises.
We didn’t have any special tools to work with drywall, so we ended up mostly using the multitool. For some of the larger cuts, I used a circular saw (though that kicked up a crapton of debris).
The whole Visqueen process was way, way easier than I thought it would be. Though it took a while for us to get the plywood installed officially, the Visqueen part went by super quick.
I’m now much less daunted about applying Visqueen and dry wall across the entire basement. I think with a full day, Liz and I could likely power through the rest of the basement.
Today was our big move, getting lots of our boxed items transferred from our second floor over to a storage unit. Our goal is clear out our second floor as much as we possibly can, so that we can start to do more significant work on the floor and walls in the master bedroom, guest bedroom, and (eventually) our front office.
Tomorrow morning, we have a crew of movers coming over to relocate all our boxes into a storage unit.
It’s part of our larger plan for the second floor, to literally clear out as much as we can… so we can start to do some serious work up here: ripping out the old floor, putting down insulation and conduit, adding new plywood, and also getting some walls set up.
Given how sick I’ve been, these last few days – I haven’t had time to go back and finish up the plywood in the back basement. As soon as that’s done, we’ll have drywall to work with – and can hopefully finish up that back area.
Liz and I are on a more rigorous schedule of house work, now that we have a lot of our coming weeks and months plotted out. We’ve set up a storage unit and scheduled movers, so there’s no turning back now.
One thing we found from the prior tenant: a shotgun shell. I ended up giving this to the storage people to dispose of, as I felt weird just tossing it in a trashcan by the sidewalk.