Liz, patching over screw holes, as Bob watches and advises.
We didn’t have any special tools to work with drywall, so we ended up mostly using the multitool. For some of the larger cuts, I used a circular saw (though that kicked up a crapton of debris).
The whole Visqueen process was way, way easier than I thought it would be. Though it took a while for us to get the plywood installed officially, the Visqueen part went by super quick.
I’m now much less daunted about applying Visqueen and dry wall across the entire basement. I think with a full day, Liz and I could likely power through the rest of the basement.
Today was our big move, getting lots of our boxed items transferred from our second floor over to a storage unit. Our goal is clear out our second floor as much as we possibly can, so that we can start to do more significant work on the floor and walls in the master bedroom, guest bedroom, and (eventually) our front office.
Tomorrow morning, we have a crew of movers coming over to relocate all our boxes into a storage unit.
It’s part of our larger plan for the second floor, to literally clear out as much as we can… so we can start to do some serious work up here: ripping out the old floor, putting down insulation and conduit, adding new plywood, and also getting some walls set up.
Given how sick I’ve been, these last few days – I haven’t had time to go back and finish up the plywood in the back basement. As soon as that’s done, we’ll have drywall to work with – and can hopefully finish up that back area.
Liz and I are on a more rigorous schedule of house work, now that we have a lot of our coming weeks and months plotted out. We’ve set up a storage unit and scheduled movers, so there’s no turning back now.
One thing we found from the prior tenant: a shotgun shell. I ended up giving this to the storage people to dispose of, as I felt weird just tossing it in a trashcan by the sidewalk.
If you look at the measurements in the first photo, the top right corner shows 10/16″. But what it actually was was 1 10/16″. And that threw off my subsequent measurements. Ugh!
Bob was over last night, finishing off the remaining bit of work on the joists… making way for the new header. It’s the first of two large pieces that replace the old/warped boards tha twe took out, a few days ago.
While looking into a space where the pocket doors area, Bob reached in and found this bit of newspaper – lodged pretty far inside.
Though we were both a little tired from the work day (and were feeling 50/50 about hour “house night”), Liz and I sucked it up and suited up. We both were at work in the basement, with her painting and me clearing out the back area again.
Using a bottle jack to get the top part of the frame in place. Things I learned today: the to of the jack unscrews, and can extend a few more inches – if you’re ever in a pinch.
Liz and I have returned to a more focused, consistent schedule on the house. With the events of the last few months settling down, we’re renewing our time and effort back to having a routine where we work on the house at set times during the week.
The day shot by really fast. House days tend to do that. Even though we try to aim to finish by 3PM, we always go over – propelled by the momentum of the day. It’s a good and bad thing, as we put in a solid day… but spent most of the day working.