After mowing, I decided I was going to use the power washer Bob loaned us (for the basement) on our front and back porches.
Today, Liz and I spent some time in the basement with a bit of drywall work. While Bob is helping to build our stairs, we’re trying to do some of the in-between work. Our task today: add some drywall, and start to build out one of the walls for the stairs.
Today was a yard day, with Liz working on weeding and planting in the front yard and me mowing the lawn in back.
As I progressed, I found a few more piles. And a bit more. By the time I got done with the backyard, I felt pretty beat… and hadn’t even started with the actual removal of all the house stuff yet!
Made a big push today, and got the rest of the guest room floors up. With much of the ancillary side work out of the way, all that’s left was to just power through getting the remaining floorboards removed.
Ultimately, I went downstairs and stole the string lights from the basement. Then, I slowly installed the old set while slowly removing the one I had just put in. Two times the fun.
Mostly a cleanup day today. I spent a lot of time taking out nails from the wall studs I removed. A kind of slow process that was slower and more labor intensive than I expected.
The process involved a lot of repetition. First, I’d remove a section of floorboards. Then I’d go and remove all of the nails. Then I’d take all the wood over to the office, and sweep up any of the debris/nails. Then I’d use the shop vac to clear out the dust/debris in each space I had just opened up
The first few rows cleared out. One challenge: with the floor gone, there were some big nails left in the joists – every six inches or so. Once I ripped up a length, I’d have to go back with a hammer and pry out all of the nails. In a few instances, the heads snapped off (being super old and brittle as they are), and required a pair of channel locks to finish the job.
With me on a kind of staycation between jobs, it’s a good chance for me to really put in some hours on the house and get some work done. Stealing an hour or two after we get home from work is nice, but this week and next… I’m able to put in a solid run of hours.
Saturday, Liz and I ventured into the attic with Bob to take another look at the ceiling above our office space. We were talking about potentially lofting the space, and wanted to get a better look at everything “up there” in the attic.
You should really see things when the lights are first turned on, as the room has this kind of warm glow to it. Makes me feel like we’re a few tiki mugs away from opening up a bar down here.
We needed the covers off in order to be able to access the two slots, which is what’s used to fasten/mount them. On looking inside, I Was surprised to see that the lights were actually small strips of LEDs.
Got a little time in the basement yesterday with Liz, after work. She worked on marking the front basement area with the laser level, to determine where our lights are going to go.
Liz and I worked on the basement a bit after work. We joined Bob (who had been at our place since midday), and were tackling smaller odds and ends as he began work on the stairs.