Our main goal: looking for a new tree for the front yard, to replace the Japanese Maple that died last year.
Looking at the week, there was a lot of rain in the forecast (at least, there was when we looked on Sunday night). The best day to get the remaining plants in the ground looked to be today, after work. So Liz and I got our grubby clothes on after work, and tried to get as much as we could with the last of the day’s light.
Liz and I had big plans for the day, and we got an early start. With rain in the forecast, we were trying to get as much done as we could, as early as we could.
With all the road work that happened last year, the city works put in a ton of sand and also hydroseeded all the parkways. We didn’t stop them in time and as a result, had a lot of grass beginning to grow everywhere.
Ever since the city did all the road work along our street last year, our parkway has suffered. We had a large chunk of it disturbed, dug up, and the city ended up spraying some kind of hydroseed thing to re-grass the areas.
The sound of road work began pretty early this morning, circa 7AM. I know construction crews get an early start (typically arriving on a site by 6AM or earlier and ending around 3PM). But I guess this means we’re in for a lot of heavy thuds and beeping trucks for the next few weeks.
Yesterday morning, we walked outside to find someone had taken some bricks from the brick path we installed in the parkway.
This morning, as I was getting ready for work – I looked out the window, and saw a big ciy vehicle idling in the street. As we were leaving for work, I saw three city workers standing in the street, gazing up at the tree.
When I asked her if she knew which tree was being serviced, she pointed to the Mulberry tree! And as soon as I was able, I sent an email with the news to our neighbors Bernie and Carol Jean.
This time every year, our driveway gets just wrecked due to all the berries dropping from the nearby Mulberry tree. It starts slowly with a few berries here and there… but it eventually turns into this godawful mess.
After brunch, we headed back home and suited up for a bit of yardwork. Neither Liz nor I intended to spend the rest of the day outside… but an hour turned into two turned into almost five.
Liz has had a brick walkway in mind for some time now – partly as a decorative element, and partly as a means or people to walk through the parkway without stepping on our plants.
Today, Julie and Bob stopped over to help us with the house. Outside, Julie and Liz were at work on the parkway. Inside, Bob was taking measurements and making plans while I was in the basement, continuing to work on removing bricks from the chimney.
I slowly discovered that hitting the chisel on an angle made things easier. As did brushing out all the debris before each set of blows. I also got to learn how to chisel away exposed mortar much faster… and to also use the chisel as a lever, to further loosen (and in some cases pry out) bricks.