While I first worried they were an infestation of some kind, it turns out these were galls.
After I mowed the lawn – this was my next task: dig out an old portion of tree root, in a spot where Liz wanted to put some plants.
Hard to believe this is still here, after over seven years.
Liz, pointing out the new plants that are in. And the various spots where she found a ton of bricks/rocks. Which appear to be everywhere in our yard, at a certain depth.
Liz and I focused a lot on the arbor arches tonight, after work. While I got them sanded down a bit more yesterday… there was still a lot of material remaining. And a lot of fine-tuning still needed.
I set up shop and did a bit of sanding on the arbor arches. Liz ended up continuing to lay out, plan, and plant more things around the arbor.
My initial thought was to mark this all out on a piece of masonate, and to cut it with the jigsaw. Using the masonite as a template, I’d just trace this over the wood to get all four pieces.
After work today, Liz and I decided to race the light and try to get the trellises built for the arbor. We had all the material lying around from our materials run, so it was just a matter of doing the measurements and making the cuts.
More work in the backyard, with a lot of the soil tilled and amended. While a lot of our soil is generally really rich and great, the areas here have been hard and dry. So much so, that it’s really difficult to even get a shovel in.
On the list: several bags of Moonure. After picking up all these bags and loading them in the car, I had to fight the urge to text Liz that I was “finally done with all this shit.”
After our adventure with the sod cutter last week, we still had a lot of clean-up to deal with in the back yard.
While I was busy returning the sod cutter, Liz was doing all the real work (and heavy lifting). She rolled up and relocated all the sod we cut up.
Liz, showing off her Covid hair.
This thing… was actually quite stressful for me to procure. It must be my planning and default stress, but the whole process was a bit daunting. The thing is around 300 pounds, and I was worried about transporting it to/from Home Depot.
Our goals for the arbor today were pretty modest: get in the bottom 2×4 cross braces (with pocket screws) and also get in the top 4×4 cross beams.
Despite it being a Friday, Liz and I opted to suit up after work to put in a bit more time getting the arbor in order. We wanted to get some concrete in for the posts (and to also figure out how much more concrete we needed to purchase, in the event we needed more).