Liz ended up sweeping out the leaves with a broom (she didn’t want to risk damaging her plants with a rake), and I ended up using two dustpans to transport everything from the ground to the bag. It turned out to be a pretty good workflow.
The bag on my lawnmower is a small one, and gets filled rather quickly. On top of that, I didn’t have the foresight to re-adjust the height of the blade (which was set to a fairly low setting). What this meant was that I could manage maybe one pass of the yard (from the back porch to the wooden fence), and I’d have to stop and empty the thing out. It made for a kind of slow process.
I’ve never really been a fan of laptops, as I’ve always loved the tactile feel of a Mac keyboard. My hands are used to the sensation, and the whole muscle memory of it all. Typing on a laptop feels weird and alien to me, and it just doesn’t feel right.
But it’s slowly getting there, and slowly growing together again. We set the mower to its highest setting (4 inches), and are going to be taking another pass this week to get it a little lower. It almost got wild on us for a second there, but it’s really starting to look like a true and actual lawn.
Yesterday after work, Liz made a really terrible discovery: we have visitors in our yard. Despite the tremendous amount of weeds and soil that was removed from our backyard, we have some uninvited guests poking through the sod.
When the yard was still half-uncovered, I asked if they were planning on returning tomorrow. I found out that they were intending to finish today – and in under an hour, the rest of the yard was covered in sod!
After a few weather delays last week, today a new crew from our landscaper (Christy Webber) showed up as we were leaving for work. They had a lot of soil with them, along with a Bobcat – and this is what we found on returning home.
Waking up this morning, we saw that the heavy, overnight rains ended up leaving a fairly large puddle in the middle of our yard. We’d seen some pooling here after we first started to water the yard… but last night’s rain made things much more pronounced.
It’s super early, and though I’m tired – it’s nice to have something that forces me out of bed. I haven’t been able to resume my habit of getting up to work in the early hours, so maybe the new watering routine will shift my schedule up some. There’s a bit of rain in the forecast, but I expect to be doing this early rising for the next two weeks at least.
This is a rather big file (2.2MB), but does show the whole progress of our backyard: from the clearing to the leveling to the sod installation. The first few photos are a little off, but I did try to take photos from the same vantage point during the sod install part.
It’s been a long two days of work, and a remarkable four days of change. Considering how things looked Thursday, it’s hard to believe. I think we’re lucky to have this bench, because for the foreseeable future… every time I get back here, I’m going to be blown away. And will need to sit down, to marvel at it all.
Unfortunately, the forklift was bigger than a bobcat… and couldn’t make it down the driveway. So he left all four palettes of our sod near the front. We kind of knew this might happen, so it just means more transport and moving around for us.
Today was a little more subdued. Though the bobcat came back for more clearing, there were only two workers (as opposed to the five we had yesterday).